Monday, August 19, 2013

DIY weathered sign

I love DIY projects! I would rather make it and figure it out myself than purchase if possible! I had a vision and originally thought Stella was a boy so only focused on boy nursery projects/themes! When we found out it was a girl, I still wanted something really unique on the rustic side behind her crib. I googled, etsy, pinterest, ebay, antique shops you name it for weeks! I couldn't find anything what I loved plus the decal I ordered from Glass Den (who is amazing and I have ordered many things from her for gifts, etc) was a very awkward size 40" length. This made it difficult! I had emailed a few shops on etsy about signs but most ignored me (rude) and nothing I really loved! I knew I could make something. Being 7 months pregnant probably not the smartest-oh well it was worth it!! I started to brainstorm and went with it. 
inspiration
Lowes:
Plywood (doesn't matter type of wood you will stain it anyways)
2 paint samples ($3 each) and was plenty!  
crackle paint (worthless didn't work for me)
paint brush
L brackets

Hobby Lobby:
iron decorations

I started with painting first layer of my paint (grey, then tan.) I let it dry overnight. My original goal was crackle paint, but I applied it while at beach and I believe the salt in the air messed it up. I hated the look and almost threw the entire thing out. When I got home I started sanding, adding more paint, dark stain, white paint, more sanding, and just kept messing with it until I got that "Weathered look." With the Iron embellishment my dad said I needed some wood behind it, so traced the iron and took a hand saw cutting then antiqued it. This took me about a day once the paint dried! I am so happy with it and looks amazing behind her crib! Pictures don't do it justice! <3 Don't give up if you get frustrated, keep playing around with it and make it your own! 
screwing it all in belly and all
top wood cut out for iron embellishment


stained to match rest


Idea #1 but felt the dark was too much for her room



FINAL PRODUCT! 



No comments:

Post a Comment